The circular tops with radiating bands of specimen marbles, including amethyst, malachite, porphyry, pietra paescene and agates with a central tablet of lapis lazuli, set within a verde antico border, the simulated rosewood bases cross-banded with an ebony border, on a carved acanthus edge with a moulded bead & reel frieze, supported by three sabre legs with carved acanthus and rosettes, on a plate-form base with a central carving of pomigrainettes, resting on bold scroll feet,
Attributed to Gillow's
English, circa 1825
Height: 30 in; 77cm
Width: 36in; 82cm
Provenance The Baronne de Nixon, Châteaux de Cieteil Now owned by the French state.
Footnote, The firm of Gillow's of Lancaster and London where one of the most renound Cabinet makers of the 18th and early 19th century, no other cabinet makers were in business for so long or had a show room and workshop in 18th century London as well as Lancaster receiving commission from many of the Great English Houses such as Hackwood Park Hampshire , Wentworth Woodhouse Yorkshire, Tatton Park Cheshire.